After my application's last update (when I started using jQuery 1.6.2), IE8 crashes when I refresh the page (one of three things happens: the tab crashes and is reopened, or it says "can't open that page, click here to try again", or IE8 completely crashes).
So yes ... a problem is definitely back since 1.6.2. And yes: the problem does not occur when I remove the body background.
Sadly I can't reproduce it in a jsFiddle :(
In any case, it doesn't happen with 1.6.1., and it doesn't happen if there's no body background. I'm assuming it's related with the previous posts, so I'm hoping there's enough clues to fix it again... :)