Bug Tracker

Ticket #13793 (closed bug: fixed)

Opened 23 months ago

Last modified 22 months ago

SourceMap on Google is broken

Reported by: mattrobenolt Owned by: m_gol
Priority: blocker Milestone: 1.10/2.0
Component: build Version: 2.0.0
Keywords: Cc: paul.irish
Blocking: Blocked by:

Change History

comment:1 Changed 23 months ago by dmethvin

  • Cc paul.irish added

I provided the file to Google as jquery-2.0.0.*, the sourcemap would need to be edited manually by Google to retarget the file name. Paul, did you guys do that last time? Or did I provide you one? The ASP.NET CDN uses the name name as we do with the embedded version so it doesn't affect them.

comment:2 Changed 23 months ago by dmethvin

  • Priority changed from undecided to blocker
  • Status changed from new to open
  • Component changed from unfiled to build
  • Milestone changed from None to 2.0.1

Looks like I did the job manually for 1.9.1 and sent them both (with and without version) but it didn't get into the build process; I wasn't sure which one they were using. So as I understand it from Google this can't be fixed, you'll need to use a local copy if you need the sourcemap.

comment:3 Changed 23 months ago by dmethvin

So just in case it's not clear, this will be fixed by us in 2.0.1, but the current Google CDN version cannot be changed.

comment:4 Changed 23 months ago by dmethvin

Whoops, just heard from them. They *are* changing the map, but whether you get it or not will depend on whether you or any intervening proxy has cached the old one forever.

comment:5 Changed 23 months ago by mattrobenolt

FWIW, it seems my validator is able to fetch the right map from Google, but it appears 100% wrong. No idea how it's mapping every token up incorrectly. It's almost like it was built before the comment at the top of jquery.js was added.

comment:6 Changed 22 months ago by m_gol

  • Owner set to m_gol
  • Status changed from open to assigned

Hah, I've noticed the map file generated points to jquery.pre-min.js instead of jquery.js...

I'll look into it.

comment:8 Changed 22 months ago by m_gol

  • Milestone changed from 2.0.1 to 1.10/2.0

Also, the spec changed so we should change the pragma accordingly to //# sourceMappingUrl

comment:9 Changed 22 months ago by mattrobenolt

Hmm, I see the spec was updated May 16th. Is there a discussion around that I can follow?

comment:11 Changed 22 months ago by mattrobenolt

Nice, thank you.

comment:12 Changed 22 months ago by dmethvin

Yes, the -git versions need to have working map files so thanks m_gol. I think it's too early to change from //@ to //# but let's do that for 1.11/2.1 time frame. If Chrome hasn't changed to accept the new format by then, our change will be a motivator for it.

comment:13 Changed 22 months ago by m_gol

Seems reasonable to wait for a pragma change until 1.11/2.1.

I submitted a pull request:  https://github.com/jquery/jquery/pull/1275

I really need people to test it before we ship 1.10, this all is way too fragile.

comment:13 Changed 22 months ago by Michał Gołębiowski

  • Status changed from assigned to closed
  • Resolution set to fixed

Fix #13793. Correct source map generation bugs. Close gh-1275.

Changeset: 997da31121b9d084ccba05a9bb1e258c8c8faaf0

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.