Bug Tracker

Ticket #10197 (closed bug: fixed)

Opened 3 years ago

Last modified 3 years ago

Bug with mime-type application/xhtml+xml in jquery 1.6.3

Reported by: pierre@… Owned by: rwaldron
Priority: blocker Milestone: 1.6.4
Component: support Version: 1.6.3
Keywords: Cc: jaubourg
Blocking: Blocked by:

Description (last modified by rwaldron) (diff)

Hi,

I seems a regression has been added in jquery 1.6.3 for content-type "application/xhtml+xml".

Most browsers (ffx, Safari, Chrome) with such error message :

uncaught exception: [Exception... "An invalid or illegal string was specified" code: "12" nsresult: "0x8053000c (NS_ERROR_DOM_SYNTAX_ERR)" location: " Line: 1182"]

The error does not occurs with jquery 1.6.2.

Check this page as an example :

-> fails with jquery 1.6.3 while -> works (same page with with jquery 1.6.2)

Cheers

Change History

comment:1 Changed 3 years ago by anonymous

Both pages appear to work in Opera.

comment:2 Changed 3 years ago by pierre@…

Yes, it works with opera although there is content negotiation to work with old MSIE version.

The page is served with application/xhtml+xml for Opera too and it works.

Note that I am sure the bug is related to the mime type since page :  http://vizionr.fr/index_1_6_3.html works in ffx, Safari and Chrome (exactly the same page as  http://vizionr.fr/index_1_6_3.xhtml but served as text/html)

comment:3 Changed 3 years ago by pierre@…

This bug is a bit annoying since  http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.6/jquery.js is now using version 1.6.3 for 1.6 branch.

comment:4 Changed 3 years ago by jaubourg

  • Owner set to rwaldron
  • Priority changed from undecided to blocker
  • Status changed from new to assigned
  • Component changed from unfiled to support
  • Milestone changed from None to 1.next

It's a problem in support. Test string is not in xml anymore hence why the parser is complaining (since doc is supposed to be proper xml). Size optimization failure it seems.

I'll bring rwaldron in on this ;)

For now, Pierre, shouldn't be too much of an hassle to use 1.6.2 instead of 1.6 in that google CDN URL.

This is a blocker and could warrant a 1.6.4.

comment:5 Changed 3 years ago by jaubourg

  • Cc jaubourg added

comment:6 Changed 3 years ago by dmethvin

This bug is a bit annoying since  http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.6/jquery.js is now using version 1.6.3 for 1.6 branch.

Never use a URL like that in production code. Besides the situation here where the code changes and breaks your site, that file is cached for one HOUR but the 1.6.2 is cached for one YEAR.

 http://www.petefreitag.com/item/777.cfm

comment:7 Changed 3 years ago by dmethvin

  • Milestone changed from 1.next to 1.7

I agree this looks like we'll need 1.6.4 to fix. This is the ONE change that went in after rc1 and I didn't vet it carefully enough. Also, our unit tests don't run in XHTML mode; if we're going to support it we need to do that. I've opened a separate ticket for that issue.

comment:8 Changed 3 years ago by rwaldron

  • Description modified (diff)

I'll resolve this by the end of today.

comment:9 Changed 3 years ago by rwaldron

  • Description modified (diff)

Weird, it seems like links were removed from the original post when I replied from my mobile.

comment:10 follow-up: ↓ 12 Changed 3 years ago by rwaldron

 https://github.com/jquery/jquery/pull/487

Protip: Don't listen to Mathias. Ever.

comment:11 Changed 3 years ago by rwaldron

  • Milestone changed from 1.7 to 1.6.4

comment:12 in reply to: ↑ 10 ; follow-up: ↓ 13 Changed 3 years ago by mathias

Replying to rwaldron:

Protip: Don't listen to Mathias. Ever.

Don’t use XHTML, ever. :P

comment:13 in reply to: ↑ 12 Changed 3 years ago by rwaldron

  • Description modified (diff)

Replying to mathias:

Replying to rwaldron:

Protip: Don't listen to Mathias. Ever.

Don’t use XHTML, ever. :P

+9001

comment:14 Changed 3 years ago by rwldrn

  • Status changed from assigned to closed
  • Resolution set to fixed

Reverts broken support string. Fixes #10197

Changeset: 4bc691a1c3a67aefb867e868d5577155571fb659

comment:15 Changed 3 years ago by sS

Hi,

I noticed the mistake at the same time that 1.6.4 was launched and indeed in XHTML the scripts don't work. I had to switch manually back to 1.6.3 to solve this (reading jquery from google cdn). Will this be fixed at version 1.6.5?

Thanks

comment:16 Changed 3 years ago by rwaldron

There is no "1.6.4" yet, but 1.6.4 will have the fix for this issue.

comment:17 Changed 3 years ago by sS

Thank you and sorry for the mistake, I meant: 1.6.3

comment:18 Changed 3 years ago by rwaldron

No problem - I just wanted to make sure you knew that 1.6.4 will be the correct release

comment:19 Changed 3 years ago by rwaldron

#10236 is a duplicate of this ticket.

comment:20 in reply to: ↑ description Changed 3 years ago by anonymous

Replying to pierre@…:

Hi,

I seems a regression has been added in jquery 1.6.3 for content-type "application/xhtml+xml".

Most browsers (ffx, Safari, Chrome) with such error message :

uncaught exception: [Exception... "An invalid or illegal string was specified" code: "12" nsresult: "0x8053000c (NS_ERROR_DOM_SYNTAX_ERR)" location: " Line: 1182"]

The error does not occurs with jquery 1.6.2.

Check this page as an example :

-> fails with jquery 1.6.3 while -> works (same page with with jquery 1.6.2)

Cheers

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.