Skip to main content

Bug Tracker

Side navigation

#3213 closed bug (duplicate)

Opened August 02, 2008 11:17PM UTC

Closed August 03, 2008 06:17PM UTC

Last modified March 15, 2012 07:23PM UTC

Microsoft.XMLHTTP ActiveX object doesn't work, but other ones do

Reported by: cmcnulty Owned by:
Priority: major Milestone: 1.3
Component: ajax Version: 1.2.6
Keywords: xmlhttp Cc:
Blocked by: Blocking:

We have a client that uses thin clients/Terminal Services (Win 2000) and IE6 with non-administrator users (I say all this because I'm not sure what's causing the problem), for whom:

new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")

throws an error, and yet:

new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.XMLHttp.5.0")

does not throw an error. There for I'd like to patch ajax.js such that it tries other MSXML strings after Microsoft.XMLHTTP before giving up. It works such that if a user isn't currently exhibiting any problems the behavior should not change at all.

See patch, which is to the current ajax.js

Attachments (1)
  • ajax.js.diff (1.3 KB) - added by cmcnulty August 02, 2008 11:17PM UTC.

    patch to ajax.js

Change History (4)

Changed August 02, 2008 11:29PM UTC by cmcnulty comment:1

See also #2167 and #2128 which I believe this patch would solve better, and also #3087 which although it would not solve the problem, would at least allow me to override the jquery behavior with better behavior.

Changed August 03, 2008 04:10AM UTC by cloudream comment:2

MSXML2.XMLHttp.5.0 is special for MS OFFICE, 3.0/4.0/6.0 are for IE.

Changed August 03, 2008 04:33PM UTC by cmcnulty comment:3

Hmm... I'm not in my office at the moment. It's possible that I got the version number wrong that we got working on the client's site.

In any case I agree that #3087 supersedes this ticket and would support marking this as willnotfix, or duplicate or something, and focusing on #3087

Changed August 03, 2008 06:17PM UTC by flesler comment:4

resolution: → duplicate
status: newclosed