Bug Tracker

Opened 15 years ago

Closed 15 years ago

Last modified 11 years ago

#1872 closed bug (invalid)

Charachter Encoding on Ajax Load

Reported by: eshu Owned by:
Priority: major Milestone: 1.2.4
Component: ajax Version: 1.2.1
Keywords: Cc:
Blocked by: Blocking:


hello! i`ve just noticed that every time i use some of Jquery plugins that use Ajax load request witch loads some (.html) pages encoded other than default (utf-8, i guess) it renders in the end with error

for example i tried JTicker, UI Tabs, and every time i use Ajax load it ends up in mess.( character encoding for eastern europe windows-1250)

ive reported the authors about this bug and i concluded that i might report this to you instead (they told me that that is Jquery thing)

i hope in the future somebody will take some time and take care of this problem, because i find this libraries to be finest thing around and it would be ptty not to have support for character coding else than utf-8...



Attachments (4)

jquery_test.html (959 bytes) - added by davidserduke 15 years ago.
test case
unicode.html (126 bytes) - added by davidserduke 15 years ago.
test case data 1
westeurope.html (31 bytes) - added by davidserduke 15 years ago.
test case data 2
.htaccess (117 bytes) - added by davidserduke 15 years ago.
test case data 3

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (14)

comment:1 Changed 15 years ago by davidserduke

need: ReviewTest Case

Is there a test case for this that displays the problem?

comment:2 Changed 15 years ago by davidserduke

May be related to #1931 and #1934.

comment:3 Changed 15 years ago by joern

Component: coreajax

Changed 15 years ago by davidserduke

Attachment: jquery_test.html added

test case

Changed 15 years ago by davidserduke

Attachment: unicode.html added

test case data 1

Changed 15 years ago by davidserduke

Attachment: westeurope.html added

test case data 2

Changed 15 years ago by davidserduke

Attachment: .htaccess added

test case data 3

comment:4 Changed 15 years ago by davidserduke

need: Test CaseReview
Resolution: worksforme
Status: newclosed

This is a problem with you web server and not with jQuery. If you look at the test case (which worked for me), you'll see (if you use apache) the .htaccess file attached specifies which documents are delivered with what encoding. This should fix the problem you are seeing.

comment:5 Changed 15 years ago by eshu

Resolution: worksforme
Status: closedreopened

sorry, i thought that this will remain unanswered...

yes i see now that i wasn't clear enough... i was testing ui-tabs, as well as other plugins LOCALLY on my pc, on different web browsers (Safari, IE,Opera,Safari/win) that was also happened when i upload files to web host, but the point is this was happened locally (default charachter encoding used on index page was/is utf-8- i changed that-nothing happened)

Windows XP with croatian characters enabled (keyboard as well)

so basically when i put some croatian characters in some test file witch is then (ajax) called by the

ui-tabs using jquery build in ajax call, it doesent present it corectly...(well in fact all characters are lost)

again, this is all happening locally!?!

if somebody finds a time, someday somewhere, is very much welcomed! :-)

this is big issue because the alternative is to use some iframe or object witch is pretty much inconvenient... thx! mario

comment:6 Changed 15 years ago by davidserduke

So do you have a test case? The only test case I was able to create I got to work. And what do you mean by locally? Are you loading the files directly (file:///...) ? Or do you just mean the web server (apache/IIS) is running on the same machine as the browser?

comment:7 Changed 15 years ago by eshu

oh, sorry! i was thinking about that last night before goingto sleep! :-)

ok, i see, i dont know how to express my problem in right terms, so here we go with test case...


ok, there it is, tabs one, two, three... i put some eastern european charachters in files (ahah_1.html, ahah_2.html,ahah_2.html) witch are called (? i dont know if this is are right term) by this script(ui.tabs) witch uses jquery

i was talking to the guy that kindly provided tbas and he told me that this is jquerry issue...

you can just check a bit, and tell me where the problem is, if its not in ajax call or whatever?

nevertheless thank you very much for dealing with this so far!

i appreciated it! :-)

p.s. as you can see in same folder i put also those test files you provided last time, but when i test them they are showing the same problems...ok im aware its a free web hoster with narrowed capabilities..

comment:8 Changed 15 years ago by eshu

i forgot to mention... :-) i uploaded those files with original character encoding set of utf-8... the same problems occurred when i put the file character encoding of windows-1250 ( witch i usually put on my files...) i've tested this also with windows-1250 char. enc. and i had the same issue...

thank you! :-)

comment:9 Changed 15 years ago by eshu

oh my god! i got it!!! i dont know how,but i got it now! well i know how, but i dont konw how that idea comes to me...i guess it has something to do with all this conversation.... :-)) im happy now it working! the issue was with my default web page editor ie Top styler... what i have done was just copy and paste original files (ahah_1.html, ahah_2.html,ahah_2.html) in notepad and before i close them i put encoding to UTF-8!... :-) i never knew it could be so simple...this was bothering me so much, year or so, and i have tried enything, and things get so complicated... i was going around thinking it has something to do with jquery or something else... so simple! thank you, anyway!!!!

i just hope this helps someone in future... so simple... :-)

comment:10 Changed 15 years ago by flesler

Resolution: invalid
Status: reopenedclosed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.