Bug Tracker

Opened 6 years ago

Closed 6 years ago

#13095 closed bug (patchwelcome)

setting name attribute cannot be set at run time on IE7

Reported by: wy4052@… Owned by:
Priority: undecided Milestone: None
Component: unfiled Version: git
Keywords: Cc:
Blocked by: Blocking:

Description

At the very least, please specify in the documentation. Better yet, have it properly handle this case.

Check code for proof: http://jsfiddle.net/qhwRQ/8/

Reference doc: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms534184(VS.85).aspx http://thunderguy.com/semicolon/2005/05/23/setting-the-name-attribute-in-internet-explorer/

Change History (1)

comment:1 Changed 6 years ago by dmethvin

Resolution: patchwelcome
Status: newclosed

This is a long standing, well-known, problem in a browser that has been around for years. Google will find the proof; here's one but keep looking if you'd like.

http://webbugtrack.blogspot.com/2007/10/bug-235-createelement-is-broken-in-ie.html

The workaround is to specify the name attribute in the markup. Google will mention that too.

I'm sure everyone who has ever burned time on a problem like this is thinking, "Well I wrote this with jQuery so they should have mentioned every possible deviation and browser quirk at the top of the jQuery documentation for any affected method because that's where I started to look for help." But if we did that the docs would be a mess and totally unreadable. Sometimes you just have to know where to look. Or ask Google.

If you have a patch that works in a general way that we somehow missed, we could consider it.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.