id summary reporter owner description type status priority milestone component version resolution keywords cc blockedby blocking 12697 Node creation fails for Chrome in XHTML under certain conditions Sorensen Sorensen "When using XHTML and serving the page as application/xhtml+xml, node creation fails under certain conditions and bombs out with a DOM syntax error. This has been tested in Chrome 22 and Firefox 14 on Windows 7 using jQuery 1.8.2. The problem is only present in Chrome. Firefox handles things fine. As far as I have tested, this ONLY works when the page is served as application/xhtml+xml, which means I can't get a proper jsFiddle.net unit test for it. However, if you have access to a server that dishes out the page with the proper MIME type, it's an easy setup. The problematic code is $(''). Note that the tag element is not self-closed, and that an attribute is present. If the element is self closed, or if the attribute is not present, no problem happens. E.g., $('') is okay, and $('') is okay. As far as I have tested, any combination of tag, attribute, and attribute value exhibits this behavior. When $('') is executed, Chrome barfs with SYNTAX_ERR: DOM Exception 12. The following is the stack trace using the non-min version. {{{ Error: An invalid or illegal string was specified. at Function.jQuery.extend.clean (jquery.js:6312:20) at Function.jQuery.buildFragment (jquery.js:6151:10) at Function.jQuery.extend.parseHTML (jquery.js:499:19) at jQuery.fn.jQuery.init (jquery.js:131:24) at jQuery (jquery.js:44:10) at Document. (http://localhost:8080/Test/testpage.jsp:29:6) at fire (jquery.js:974:30) at Object.self.fireWith [as resolveWith] (jquery.js:1082:7) at Function.jQuery.extend.ready (jquery.js:406:13) at Document.DOMContentLoaded (jquery.js:83:11) }}} The line that blows up is 6312: {{{ div.innerHTML = wrap[1] + elem + wrap[2]; }}} Here's a simple .jsp page that can be used as a test case: {{{ <%@page contentType=""application/xhtml+xml"" pageEncoding=""UTF-8"" %> }}} If a .jsp server isn't available, simply replace the <%@page %> declaration with whatever you'd use to serve the page as application/xhtml+xml in your language/framework. I don't know if something changed with jQuery or with Chrome, but the problem first cropped up when I upgraded from jQuery 1.7.1. Regards, Evan PS, tell Askimet that this is not spam! " bug closed undecided None unfiled 1.8.2 notabug