Bug Tracker

Opened 7 years ago

Closed 7 years ago

Last modified 7 years ago

#12407 closed bug (invalid)

IE8 - getElementsByClassName not supported

Reported by: aleksandra.desmurs@… Owned by: aleksandra.desmurs@…
Priority: undecided Milestone: None
Component: unfiled Version: 1.8.0
Keywords: Cc:
Blocked by: Blocking:

Description

I was implementing a slider based on newest jQuery, jQuery Cycle plugin and Hashchange. It worked everywhere except for IE8. After some investigation I stumbled upon the error linked to getElementsByClassName. I removed this part of the jQuery Core: Speed-up: Sizzle(".CLASS")

} else if ( (m = match[3]) && assertUsableClassName && context.getElementsByClassName ) {

push.apply( results, slice.call(context.getElementsByClassName( m ), 0) ); return results;

}

Since I removed this everywhitng works well on all browsers (IE7 and up, FF, Chrome)

Cheers

Change History (4)

comment:1 Changed 7 years ago by timmywil

Owner: set to aleksandra.desmurs@…
Status: newpending

Thanks for taking the time to contribute to the jQuery project! Please provide a complete reduced test case on jsFiddle to help us assess your ticket.

Additionally, be sure to test against the jQuery Edge version to ensure the issue still exists. To get you started, use this boilerplate: http://jsfiddle.net/FrKyN/. Open the link and click to "Fork" (in the top menu) to get started.

comment:2 Changed 7 years ago by anonymous

I can't reproduce the bug on jsFiddle - I suppose it was a more complex problem. I stumbled upon this problem on a very big project, an e-commerce site. I was doing a slider on a CMS page. We have loads of jQuery, prototype and other JavaScript on that page. I think this ticket can be closed as the bug was more likely linked to the characteristics of our site than jQuery itself.

comment:3 Changed 7 years ago by mikesherov

Resolution: invalid
Status: pendingclosed

comment:4 Changed 7 years ago by dmethvin

Most likely it was Prototype, some versions incorrectly shim getElementsByClassName. But that's not something we can fix, because it's not our bug. In general it's a bad idea to use multiple libraries on the same page like that anyway.

http://www.prototypejs.org/api/element/getElementsByClassName

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.