Skip to main content

Bug Tracker

Side navigation

#10301 closed bug (invalid)

Opened September 18, 2011 04:05AM UTC

Closed September 20, 2011 08:28PM UTC

Last modified January 23, 2013 05:08AM UTC

$.ajax does not always submit data in IE9

Reported by: derril Owned by: derril
Priority: low Milestone: None
Component: ajax Version: 1.6.4rc1
Keywords: Cc:
Blocked by: Blocking:

In IE9, sometimes (not always, I can't reproduce it), $.ajax doesn't submit any data.

I'm using $.ajax a couple of different ways:

$.ajax('/game/start', { type : 'POST', cache : false, data : { unique_str : unique_str, ts : new Date().getTime() } });
$.ajax('/game/register', {
     type : 'POST',
     cache : false,
     data : $form.serialize() + '&ts=' + new Date().getTime(),
     success : function() {
          $((playerNode[0].playerObj.points >= winning_points ? '#finish_won' : '#finish_lose')).fadeOut(function() {

On the server, I see the request, but there is no POST or GET data. The URL and everything else seems to be correct.

I added the ts variable in an attempt to make it work, but no luck so far. I also originally hadn't set cache to false.

I've only seen this problem on this site:

I've posted some other details on this SO question:

Attachments (0)
Change History (6)

Changed September 18, 2011 12:45PM UTC by addyosmani comment:1

component: unfiledajax
owner: → derril
priority: undecidedlow
status: newpending

Thanks for taking the time to contribute to the jQuery project! If possible, can you provide a complete reduced test case on jsFiddle to help us assess your ticket? We appreciate you taking the time to submit the links and code snippets provided, however a jsfiddle test will ensure that there are no other factors influencing the issue experienced.

Additionally, be sure to test against the jQuery Edge version to ensure the issue still exists. To get you started, use this boilerplate:

Open the link and click to "Fork" (in the top menu) to get started.

Changed September 19, 2011 06:57PM UTC by derril comment:2

status: pendingnew

The biggest problem I'm having is that I can't reproduce it and I haven't found anyone else that can either, although it happens around 75 times a day (out of 5000 AJAX requests). Because I can't reproduce it, I don't know how I'd create a jsFiddle test case for it.

Any ideas on how I might start determining what the problem is? I do have all the PHP server vars if that helps at all.

Changed September 20, 2011 04:51PM UTC by timmywil comment:3

status: newpending

I'm not sure this is an issue with jQuery. Have you tried the suggested answer in this SO question?

Changed September 20, 2011 06:42PM UTC by derril comment:4

status: pendingnew

I've tried changing the headers on the server response and also adding the unix timestamp to the POST data, but it has had no affect.

Changed September 20, 2011 08:28PM UTC by timmywil comment:5

resolution: → invalid
status: newclosed

I'm not sure then. It's hard for us to help without being able to reproduce the issue. If you can provide more specific information about an issue with jQuery, we can reopen this ticket.

Changed January 23, 2013 05:08AM UTC by comment:6


I am having he same situation, To track the issue .. I added an email notification if there are no POST of GET data posted and i receive around 50 emails a day.

Yes, it seems to be a problem with either IE9 OR jQuery..I also can't reproduce it manually.