Ticket #9553 (closed bug: patchwelcome)
"Invalid calling object" in IE9 with DivX
|Reported by:||mortenkrane||Owned by:|
This is a bug that only appears in Internet Explorer 9 with DivX extensions installed and enabled. So its up for debate whether this is actually a jQuery bug or not, since its quite clearly a consequence of something the DivX extension does, but I found that everything stopped working for IE9 users until I made a rather nasty and specific workaround (see my comment here: http://forum.jquery.com/topic/internet-explorer-9-jquery-and-divx#14737000002443139).
(Also, I am surprised that the above forum post is the only other reference to this situation I can find, but that may of course be due to my searching skills.)
The bug seems to appear after the DivX plugin downloads some resource (and presumably does something in the DOM). After this happens I cannot append anything to the body element. In the Developer Toolbar console I get the error message "Invalid calling object".
I could not reproduce this in jsFiddle, but loading the code below into IE9 with DivX yields the error message every time for me.
Also, using the console to append elements to the body yields the same error message.
I can append to any other element in the page, its only the body that fails. When disabling the DivX extension and restarting IE, everything works as expected. Setting the browser in IE8 document mode also seems to solve the problem.
I have reproduced this with jQuery 1.6.1, 1.5.1 and 1.5.2.
Again, I apologize if this is outside of jQuery's realm.
- Priority changed from undecided to low
- Resolution set to patchwelcome
- Status changed from new to closed
- Component changed from unfiled to misc