Bug Tracker

Modify

Ticket #8847 (closed enhancement: wontfix)

Opened 3 years ago

Last modified 2 years ago

suggestion for ajax: call out cross-domain failure more clearly

Reported by: michaeladamkatz@… Owned by:
Priority: low Milestone: 1.next
Component: ajax Version: 1.5.2
Keywords: Cc: jaubourg
Blocking: Blocked by:

Description

See  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5625596/jquery-aspx-error-function-always-called-even-with-apparently-valid-return-data

See the comments below the problem description.

Summary: I had my browser pointed to a  file://C:/... URL, and jquery was considering my ajax call to  http://localhost/... to be "cross domain", and it was failing pretty silently. My suggestion is for jquery to modify the error string (textStatus) in this case to complain about cross domain or cross protocol to give a clue as to what happened.

Change History

comment:1 Changed 3 years ago by timmywil

  • Cc jaubourg added
  • Priority changed from undecided to low
  • Component changed from unfiled to ajax

comment:2 follow-up: ↓ 3 Changed 3 years ago by jaubourg

  • Status changed from new to closed
  • Resolution set to wontfix

The error callbacks accepts three parameters: function( jqXHR, statusText, error )

StatusText sure is "error" but the error string itself is "No Transport" (the browser does not support the type of request -- here a cross-domain one -- so no suitable transport was found).

comment:3 in reply to: ↑ 2 ; follow-up: ↓ 4 Changed 3 years ago by ap@…

Replying to jaubourg:

StatusText sure is "error" but the error string itself is "No Transport"

I just ran into the exact same problem and the error string was empty. Moreover the GET requests goes out and registers in the server log, so clearly there *is* transport available.

This is very confusing. Very Microsoft-ish if you will. It "just fails" giving no clues as to where to dig to make it working.

Please do consider re-opening the ticket, or I can submit a new one if that's a better option.

comment:4 in reply to: ↑ 3 Changed 3 years ago by jaubourg

Then it's most probably another problem. Opening a new ticket seems like a good idea.

Replying to ap@…:

Replying to jaubourg:

StatusText sure is "error" but the error string itself is "No Transport"

I just ran into the exact same problem and the error string was empty. Moreover the GET requests goes out and registers in the server log, so clearly there *is* transport available.

This is very confusing. Very Microsoft-ish if you will. It "just fails" giving no clues as to where to dig to make it working.

Please do consider re-opening the ticket, or I can submit a new one if that's a better option.

Please follow the  bug reporting guidlines and use  jsFiddle when providing test cases and demonstrations instead of pasting the code in the ticket.

View

Add a comment

Modify Ticket

Action
as closed
Author


E-mail address and user name can be saved in the Preferences.

 
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.