Bug Tracker

Ticket #14917 (closed bug: fixed)

Opened 5 months ago

Last modified 5 months ago

1.8.3+1 missing jquery.js

Reported by: gelboustani@… Owned by: gelboustani@…
Priority: low Milestone: 1.11.1/2.1.1
Component: build Version: 1.8.3
Keywords: Cc:
Blocking: Blocked by:

Description

1.8.3 tag contains jquery.js in the root level directory whereas 1.8.3+1 does not. Anyone using jquery from bower and relying on this file cannot redirect bower to 1.8.3 specifically.

Change History

comment:1 Changed 5 months ago by dmethvin

  • Owner set to gelboustani@…
  • Status changed from new to pending

We don't intend to go back and re-tag all the releases that predate our start of Bower support. Can you suggest a solution that doesn't require re-tagging?

comment:2 Changed 5 months ago by gelboustani@…

  • Status changed from pending to new

Tagging a 1.8.3+2 which includes the jquery.js should fix the problem

comment:3 Changed 5 months ago by dmethvin

  • Status changed from new to pending

Okay, I should add that we don't intend to go back and re-tag releases each time someone asks for an old release. Can you suggest a solution that doesn't require re-tagging?

comment:4 Changed 5 months ago by treshugart@…

Hey Dave,

The "jquery.js" file in the root seems to have been a convention since the release of 1.2.3 (in 1.8.3 you guys started including the minified file). Also, the commit message on the "jquery.js" file reads on every release since 1.2.3 "Include distribution in release tag". This indicates pretty clearly to an API consumer that the file can be depended on making it an API breaking change and not ok to remove in a suffixed maintenance release.

Another issue is that semantic versioning indicates 1.8.3 can match 1.8.3+1, so Bower or not, it makes it difficult to depend on 1.8.3 specifically using any sort of automation. It might be worth noting that "+" versions, I've observed, are only generally used as part of a semantic version suffix such as alpha, beta or rc. I could be wrong, though, since the semver specification doesn't explicitly say anything about that.

For what it's worth, I believe that tagging a 1.8.3+2 release is the right thing to do and is in the best interest of the greater jQuery community.

comment:5 Changed 5 months ago by timmywil

I know it's not particularly kosher, but we've already rebuilt all of the tags that corresponded to Component tags. Rebuilding this one would not be very difficult. I've thrown up a sample  here.

comment:6 Changed 5 months ago by dmethvin

  • Status changed from pending to open

Ok, I was totally confused. My local master didn't have the updated tags that timmywil pushed, which I just fixed. So if it's just about fixing this one tag, that seems okay.

comment:7 Changed 5 months ago by dmethvin

  • Priority changed from undecided to low
  • Component changed from unfiled to build
  • Milestone changed from None to 1.11.1/2.1.1

comment:8 Changed 5 months ago by timmywil

  • Status changed from open to closed
  • Resolution set to fixed

comment:9 Changed 5 months ago by anonymous

Thankyou

comment:10 Changed 5 months ago by gelboustani@…

Thankyou, much appreciated

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.